Franchis Turbine Training Set
Water turbines are turbomachines utilizing water power. The Francis turbine is a type of reaction turbine which converts the pressure energy of the water into kinetic energy in the distributor and in the rotor. The water is fed in the distributor by means of a spiral housing. The flowing water is accelerated in the distributor by the adjustable guide vanes and directed onto the blades. The redirection and further acceleration of the water in the rotor generates an impulse which is transmitted to the rotor.
FM 100.22 is the model of a Francis turbine demonstrating the function of a reaction turbine. The experimental unit consists of the rotor, the distributor with adjustable guide vanes, a band brake for loading the turbine and a housing with a transparent front panel. The transparent cover enables to observe the water flow, the rotor and the guide vanes during operation. The angle of attack and thus the power of the rotor are modified by adjusting the guide vanes. The turbine torque is determined by force measurement on a band brake and is read on spring balances. For measuring the rotational speed, a non-contact speed sensor. A manometer shows the water pressure at the turbine inlet.
The experimental unit is positioned easily and securely on the work surface of the FM 100 base module. The water is supplied and the flow rate measured by FM 100. Alternatively, the experimental unit can be operated by the laboratory supply.
- Function of a Francis turbine
- Transparent front panel for observing the operating area
- Loading the turbine by use of the band brake
- Adjustable guide vanes for setting different angles of attack
- Marking on brake drum for non-contact speed measurement
- Instruments: spring balances for determining the torque, manometer shows pressure at turbine inlet
- Flow determination by base module FM 100
- Water supply using the base module FM 100 or via lab supply
- Output: 12W at n=1100min-1, approx. 40L/min, H=8m
- 7 blades
- Blade width: 5mm
- External Ø: 50mm
- Guide vanes
- 6 vanes, adjustable (20 stages)
- Force: 2x 0…10N
- Pressure: 0…1bar